Summer School registration deadline is June 19, 2019.
IMPORTANT INFORMATION REGARDING SUMMER SCHOOL DIPLOMAS!!
All students who are writing a Diploma must register themselves AND GET PERMISSION at the writing location before June 29. To register for your Diploma exam go to Alberta Education MyPASS.
*Important Notice to Student who has accessed Special Accommodations: if you are a student that has utilized special accommodations for exam writing under Alberta Education guidelines in your homeschool, please be advised that we are unable to provide these same provisions in our Summer School program, with the exception of additional time for a diploma exam. Summer School compresses a semester's worth of course material and requires the same amount of time or more from you outside of the instructional hours.
Summer School Courses
Core Subjects (5 credits each)
English Language Arts:
English 10-1, 10-2
English 20-1, 20-2
English 30-1, 30-2
Social 10-1, 10-2
Social 20-1, 20-2
Social 30-1, 30-2
Math 10 C/10-3
Math 20-1, 20-2, 20-3
Math 30-1, 30-2, 30-3
Science 10, 20, 30
Science 14, 24
Biology 20, 30
Chemistry 20, 30
Physics 20, 30
Religious Education 15, 25 (3 credits)
Religious Education 35 (3 or 5 credits)
Religions of the World 35
CALM (3-5 credits)
Learning Strategies 15 (3 credits)
Chrome Academy (5 credits) (shipping charges may apply)
HCS3000 (1 credit) Workplace Safety Systems
HCS3010 (1 credit) Workplace Safety Practices (prerequisite HCS3000)
Physical Education 10, 20, 30 (5 credits each)
Work Experience 15, 25, 35 (6 credit maximum)
Course availability is subject to change. Courses offered in summer will be confirmed by June 15, 2019.
Current of Former RDCRS Students
Current students of Red Deer Catholic Regional Schools entering
- Current Red Deer Catholic Regional schools students entering Grade 10 are eligible to take up to 10 credits (including one core course).
- Current Red Deer Catholic Regional schools students entering Grade 11 and 12 are eligible to take up to 6 credits.
Follow these simplified directions to register for current RDCRS and former RDCRS students:
- PowerSchool parent portal. Use the username/password you were given as a parent (if unsure contact current school for this info).
- If you are a former student and don't remember your PowerSchool login, please contact St. Gabriel School or your homeschool for assistance.
- Click SCHOOL ENGAGE (last button on the left side).
- On the left sidebar, there is a tab called students, you will see your child’s name you wish to register, click on their name.
- On the right side of the screen fill out the St. Gabriel Online School SUMMER SCHOOL Registration form.
- All students must upload a birth certificate/citizenship papers where it asks you to (mandatory).
- Use the arrows to move you from page to page and remember to hit SAVE on the last page.
New RDCRS students
- Students entering Grade 10 can take 10 credits (only one core course).
- Students entering Grade 11 & 12 MAY be eligible for a maximum of 6 credits, (only one core course).
Follow these simplified directions to register:
- Create NEW school engage account
- Fill out application
- Upload a birth certificate/citizenship papers where it asks you to (mandatory)
- ALL students need to upload their birth certificate. If your birth certificate is from outside of Canada, we require a Permanent Residence Card, Canadian Citizenship card, Work Permit, etc as well.
- Use for the arrows to move you from page to page and remember to hit SAVE on the last page
*Mature Student Fees Term I and Term II (non-refundable):
- A mature student is 20 years of age, or older, as of September 1 of the current school year.
- Course fee (per course): $500 per course
- Shipping and Handling (outside of Red Deer area – 1 hour away). Please note that a shipping and handling fee may apply based on enrolment in selected courses. You will be invoiced $20 if this fee applies.
- $80 deposit per course on each textbook.
You will be emailed the status of your application within 2-3 business days.
Re-write fees for all Diploma Exams are $25 plus GST paid directly to Alberta Education through MyPass https://public.education.alberta.ca/PASI/myPass
Students visiting Canada writing diploma exams will be charged a fee of $50 (including GST) for each diploma exam written, paid directly to Alberta Education through MyPass https://public.education.alberta.ca/PASI/myPass.
Please note school fees are non-refundable and due at time of registration.
Frequently Asked Summer School Questions
I am going away on vacation, are the dates flexible?
No, the dates indicated above are strictly adhered to. If you are going away you will still be expected to log in and complete coursework. If your vacation destination does not have internet access you may not want to enroll in the course.
Do I have all summer to complete the course?
No, the dates indicated above are strictly adhered to. Students must finish 3 credit courses by July 18, 2019, and 5 credit courses by July 24, 2019.
Can I do my school work at any time during the day?
We do advise that where possible, you are online during school hours (outlined in the school calendar), so you can seek assistance from teachers. However, you can complete work or submit assignments at any time.
Is this online course going to be easy?
Five credit courses are completed in four weeks. As such, expect to be busy for at least four hours a day with school work. You will be as busy as a traditional school student who attends a regular school.
Will I receive transcripts and proof of course completion?
Marks will be available on PowerSchool throughout the course to check your marks. At the end of the program in July final grades will be sent to Alberta Education. All schools in the province of Alberta will have access to your online summer school grades when you return to your local school in September. By logging into your myPASS account at Alberta Education you will be able to see your course mark after completion of the school mark and in diploma courses after the diploma course has been graded.
Can I enroll at the St. Gabriel Learning Centre to complete high school?
Yes, if you’ve enjoyed our summer program, you can complete your entire high school program online with us.
I live in another province. Can I take a summer course?
Only Alberta residents are eligible and must have an Alberta Education Student Number (ASN) to register. If you are an international student who would like to take a summer school course please call the school.